There are a number of steps and requirements in applying for assessment. This can be summarized as:
- The Applicant reviews the ICI Australia and BLA websites to ensure they understand requirements
- The applicant completes the application form including making payment
- The Institute conducts an initial review to ensure eligibility requirements are met
- The Institute appoints an assessor and receives a conflict of interest statement
- The Assessor reviews the supplied material and arranges interviews with applicants and referees
- The Assessor conducts interviews with applicants and referees
- Outcome report drafted and forwarded to the Institute Executive with recommendation
- If complete, the Institute’s Engineer Registration Assessment Committee makes a decision; and
- The applicant is notified of the result.
What do I need?
Assessment is based on 5 main components:
- Evidence of Identification
- Evidence of Qualifications
- Evidence of Practical Experience
- Evidence of Competence
- Evidence of ability to carry out professional engineering services without supervision
The ICI Australia assessment portal provides templates and online application for all 5 components. Components 3, 4 and 5 require evidence and 3rd party referees to confirm compliance.
1. Evidence of Identification
Applicants must provide a minimum of 100 points of ID to verify their identity. The 100 points can be made up of varying combinations, however you must use at least 1 primary document as part of the 100 points. Click this link to view accepted documents.
2. Evidence of Qualifications
Applicants are required to upload the original (or certified copy) of documents as evidence of their qualifications.
3. Evidence of Practical Experience
Applicants are required to upload a Curriculum Vitae (CV) or career record providing evidence of their experience as a professional engineer.
4. Evidence of Competence
Applicants are required to upload examples of work undertaken, or a competency report to demonstrate they have the required Stage 2 elements of competency.
5. Evidence of ability to carry out professional engineering services without supervision
Applicants are required to upload a number of written references attesting to the ability to work without supervision in the area being assessed.